AS400 ERP belongs to IBM. It can be called a mid-range server. AS400 iSeries is a foundation software which was developed in 1988. It has become more popular among businesses. Nowadays, it is used by approximately one hundred thousand organisations of various industries. However, at present AS400 ERP software is not much effective software. Still, it is able to fulfill the requirements of various businesses. The words like IBMi, iSeries, or System i contain the same thing. All these names are related to IBM and it is only used to describe branding campaigns.
The terms i5/OS or eserver i5 are parts of OS400, as a changed name of this operating system. The IBMi system has a wide range of functions. The combination interactive AS400 database and internet services are provided by this. It also offers storage management, security, and networking. The AS400 ERP system is mainly known for operating e-commerce hosting and web development. It is also used for Java application development and data warehousing.
Meaning of IBM As400 ERP?
Background, Benefits and limitations of this system
Background Of AS400 ERP Software
The AS400 Financial Software was developed by IBM 33 years ago .Both hardware as well as an operating system (software) are parts of AS400. The AS400 was considered as hardware, on the other hand the OS was OS400. By the passing of time, IBM specially concentrates on the progress of hardware and software to maintain the competition of their mid-range product. To keep their product classified with the market, they used the branding and renaming method. The name of the hardware has been changed. Now, officially hardware known as power systems and the upgraded OS is called IBMi. It becomes the most selling system due to the efficiency of AS400 to match with various applications.
Nevertheless being primitive, the system is favourable with different applications. It is compatible with as400 inventory management and also accounting software. It means that you can operate the original AS400 on a current power system server without making any change. Many companies continuously use this outdated system just because of its seamless capability. IBM is famous for upgrading and improving its platform. Here is a brief of its background:
The AS400 Software is lined up with OS/400. The programs could be transferred to the AS400 ERP which were written for system/34 and system/36. Both these systems were parts of mini computers that were launched in 1979. The company’s first line of minicomputers also included system/3 and system/32.
IBM changed the name of AS400 as iSeries.
IBM changed the name of iSeries to IBM System i.
IBM combined the System I and System P product lines and joined them to produce an IBM
Advantages of AS400 ERP
Although, it was developed years ago as a computer server. Even the iSeries computers are also in demand at present. AS400 Software has the numerous advantages which are as following:
- Scalability- You can purchase the low cost core server for your business. After that it can be upgraded to a powerful 256-core.
- Credibility- The AS400 is the better option to offer close to 100 uptime.
- Secure- AS400 Software will be able to provide the work safely, till then you can properly configured your IBMi.
- Sophisticated- This server is considered for regular updating. It has become more advanced and supportive for various programming languages such as RPG and Java and others.
- Conformity- System I provides incredible conformity which offers convenient transitions.
Disadvantages of ERP AS400
However, it has featured with amazing technology, but i5 system has some limitations:
- Expensive- AS400 is a little bit costly. In comparison to the other platforms the hardware to run AS400 is highly expensive.
- Rare Developers- As the AS400 system is too old. Then the RGP developers are rarely available. And they charge higher compared to the other programming language developers.
- Mindset of People- This can be considered as the most important disadvantages of AS400. Most people believe that this system can be only useful for large business commercials and for large cash transactions. But it is just a myth.
People also read: AS400 I Series – Everything You Need To Know
Accounting and Business Software
The accounting and business software or AS400 financial software tools which are based on IBMi service for their process as mentioned below:
- ERP system specially designed for Wholesale Distributor
- American Software Enterprise
- Gammasoft Executive series
- HarrisData ERP Applications
- iSeries Financials from Global Software
- Infor Enterprise Financial Management
- Infor Lawson Financial management
- Infor Infinium FMS
- CIS- Lamp
- NGS Concert Series Financial Software
- Mosaic 21 Financial Accounting Software
- JD EDWARDS World Financial Management from oracle
- Financial Portrait Software System from Tegratecs
- Unit 4 Financials
- MasterTools by Online Computing
- Online Business Accounting Software
- Open Systems Accounting software
- DS90(iSeries) Accounting Software
- S5 financial Accounting System from Sentinel Hill Software
- Visual Accountmate/ 400 version 4.0 (VAM/400) from Accountmate Software Corp
- First Option IBM I (iSeries) Financials from the First Option.
IS IBM AS400 ERP?
IBM AS400 is not an ERP. Although several fresh users know AS400 as an Enterprise Resource Planning Software. The AS400 as an operating system works equally to Microsoft Windows or Linux. The AS400 is different from other operating systems. As other operating systems are included with files while the AS400 is known as an object. Operating systems like Windows and Linux only process the hardware and software item as the file, not as an object. Both the IBM AS400 or IBM iSeries platforms can be recognized as integrated platforms. For instance, hardware, IBM DB/400 databases, OS/400 operating system and
programming & software development environment. It can work with various business applications and ERP. As AS400 provides stability, reliability, high performance and security. Due to this, it is popular among the leading retailers, distributors, manufacturing and financial institutes.
What are the basic differences between Legacy Software vs Next Generation ERP
Legacy software are also known as on-premise ERP systems because they are offline ERPs. Although, cloud-based enterprise Resource Planning tools are referred through the next generation of ERP. If you are going to compare the both, then you must have to consider the differences. These are following:
- The major difference between both of them is the latter offers ease to access. An owner can lease and maintain the legacy ERPs live on their computers or servers. Thus, one who wants to operate them can be able to use them only in their machines. Conversely, an internet server is efficient to store next generation ERPs that an owner can lease monthly. To access this, one has to require only web browsers including Chrome, Safari and Edge.
- Next generation ERP have capability to make foundations for the future benefits. The future technologies including Internet of Things (IoT), Machine learning, Artificial intelligence, big-data analytics, and cloud computing would be architectured by this. Even services to vertical industries are defined by the core functionality of ERP. For example, the ERPs which are based on SaaS (Software as a Service). To operate this you have to pay a subscription fee. It’s necessary to get permission to use software and hardware. On the other hand, legacy ERPs are owned and operated by the company. By purchasing both hardware and software parts, buyers will be able to get the full rights to them. Here, software development consulting firms are available to serve their qualities. Their services are provided at low cost in comparison to the salary of in-house IT staff.
- The Cloud based new generation ERP systems have the advantage of easy customization and update. With these systems, users are able to make changes automatically. On the other hand, users have to face difficulty to update the on-premise legacy ERPs. To solve the issues, you have to contact your IT team. In case, if you are unable to hire a personal team. Then you can take the services of a freelance software developer consultant.
- A device that is internet-enabled, is sufficient to make access with the new generation ERP system. While legacy ERP is only operated through a computer at your workplace.
What about the checklist of ERP upgrade processes?
The Migration of Software doesn’t include any difficult process. The checklist is provided below:
- Make a plan to take help for the software upgrade
- Search about the ERP consultants who can provide you help
- Their selection must be based on there previous records, their budgets and their delivery ability
- A team must be created to take care of the upgrade process. This team will be helpful in the selection of consultancy firm
- The implementation of your plan must be created with the help of your consultant’s assistant.
ERP upgrade benefits?
Upgradation is important in a legacy ERP system, if you want to get all the prominent advantages as the users of cloud-based new generation ERP receive. Moreover, upgrading is also important to get the latest version for regular software updates, new features, service packs and many more. An updated system can run the process smoothly and reduce worker’s load. An upgraded system leads to rapid operations for the daily tasks. This system can compile several government regulations including ISO, ACA, HIPPA and IFRS etc. A cloud based ERP upgradation from IBM AS400 ERP, is important to handle any discontinuity in business processes.
What about the advantages of APIs, microservice, Java and Angular technology AS400 ERP Software?
Two types of architectures are involved in software consulting and development. These are named as microservices and the monolithic. The previous one is more popular because of its modernity. By this architecture method, a bigger application is divided into little modular services. In order to get the ability and scalability, all tiny modular services have to assist a specified business goal. To get the fresh implementation, a single code can be reused.
Lightweight APIs can be used to create better communication between modules. Microservices will provide an integration process in the transfer of on-premise systems to a cloud-based ERP system. Java, Angular, React, Node, Php and some other programming languages can be used to implement microservices and APIs architecture. It can be beneficial to provide modernization to ERPs. After the modernization they are easier to read. Even if they are working with complex systems.
How ERP Consultants can be beneficial to provide easy ERP migration
- Firstly, consultants get information about the current status of your ERP system. After that, they decide whether your Legacy ERP required any changes or not.
- While concentrating on the requirements and goals of your company, you must have to search for ways to make the transition smooth. If you want to put the foundation for a long period. Then the migration of new cloud ERP works better in comparison to legacy ERP.
- Plan is important, if you really want to minimize the obstacles. The migration process should be completed without any barrier.
- Give special attention to decrease the risk of errors or losing data while the process of migration.
- Relationships must be strong with consultants and ERP vendors. Both are important to get world class support for the ERP migration.